Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Small Biz Owners--Keeping Your Overhead Low

There are all kinds of ways to reduce/minimize overhead for shops like ours.  The biggest for us, of course, is that we have no rent, as the shop is at one of our homes.  That's huge.  Advertising?  Oh my gosh, thanks to blogs like this, facebook, Pinterest, and great sites like Vistaprint, advertising is super economical, if not simply free!  I know!  Little things make a huge difference, as well.  Say, gift bags.  If you have items that aren't super heavy, buy a package of paper bags (I love lunch sacks).  Break out that handy dandy glue gun and glue in some handles out of jute or ribbon.  Decorate if you want, or leave plain.  Either way, they are wonderful!   Make it a project with the family in the evening.  I looooove kids' art!  And I'm sure lots of people do, as well!  Stencils, buttons, paint, ribbon, flowers, scrapbooking stickers....need I suggest more?!  It you feel they are too weak for some items, double or triple up.  I fold the tops down a couple of times.  Super cute.  I'll post some pics soon.   Same thing with price tags.  I buy just a package of white string tags and decorate them to match the item I'm selling.  It's just a nice (and economical!) touch.  And, psssssstttt....have you been to your local Dollar Store lately?  HELLO!!!!  GOLD MINE!!!!  I'll be sure to post new pics very soon of some of the super fun things we've made out of our dollar store purchases.  Remember, more important than a fat wallet is vision and creativity!  Truly!

No comments:

Post a Comment